The dedicated Inpatient Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Unit was officially inaugurated on February 6, 2021. Since then, 12 patients have been admitted for inpatient rehab. The 8-bedded facility has most amenities for intensive rehab process. The highlights of the Unit are as follows.
- Comprehensive Trans-Disciplinary Services are provided for Persons with Spinal Cord Injury, including Inpatient, Outpatient and Tele-consultation services.
- Regular team rounds and meetings are held weekly to address patient progress and recovery and goals achieved
- Family meetings, peer counselling, sexual counselling, vocational counselling, and recreational activities are the highlights of inpatient rehabilitation services.
- The Physiatrists takes special interest in liaising with various Government and Non-Government Organizations for the various psycho-social, vocational and AT needs of individuals.
- The government approved inpatient charge is Rs. 1000/- per day which includes Physiatrist / Medical officer consultations and regular follow up, nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dietician, psychology, social work and attendant services. There are additional costs for food, medicines, laboratory services, assistive aids and technology, etc.
- The length of stay is estimated after completing initial assessments as a team, during the team meetings and conveyed to the patient. Family meetings are held regularly for all patients admitted for inpatient rehabilitation and realistic goals, expectations, recovery patterns and patient and family’s desires are addressed and communicated.
- Advice is also given regarding home modifications, return to work, assistive technology, etc. prior to discharge.
For persons selected for outpatient or tele-rehab, detailed assessments are done and similar process is followed, with lesser team members and identifying specific areas of interventions.